Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oy

As much as I love schedule, routine, and predictability some days just don't allow for it. This is apparently going to be one of those days. Mindie is in - to phrase it nicely - a "mood." She's been building up to it for a couple of days so I can't say I'm totally surprised. I had hoped, though, that a couple of chats and some time together would mitigate it some. No luck. I knew early this morning when she was being extra ugly. In fact, Shannen and I looked at each other and said simultaneously (aside: it's eerie how often people speak simultaneously in this house) "Oh. It's going to be one of *those* days."

A little while ago Mindie came in from outside, where she was happily playing with her sister moments before, raging "Fine! If you want to BREAK YOUR PROMISE I'm not even LISTENING TO YOU, Shannen!" I discovered that this was due to Shannen wanting some compromise in the gameplay to minimize a part of the imaginative game that she dislikes. Oh yeah, one of those days. Clearly Mindie needed time alone to sort things out.

And that's where I made my big mistake. My mom-vision was screaming "Score!" because I saw a chance to kill two birds with one stone. Mindie needed alone time. Mindie also needed to search the depths of her room for her lost eyeglasses. Why not combine the two? Many of you now see the disaster looming like oncoming train lights. I neglected to account for the "angry hormone" factor. Instead of my normally rational girl hearing, "Why don't you do something productive while you cool down?" she heard "Slave! Get thee to thy room and toil in the darkness for hours!" Bad Mom. Baaaad Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment